OPITO Approved Gas Monitor Training Gas Monitor (9241)
The aim and objectives of the Gas Monitor training standard is to ensure that personnel preparing for a gas monitor role involved in providing safety watch duties by the ongoing monitoring of a hot work site are equipped with the relevant knowledge to safely carry out the role.
The delegate’s learning outcomes are specified below:
MODULE 1 Gas Monitoring for Hotwork Sites
To successfully complete this module delegates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of:
- Hot work (any operation involving naked flames or producing heat and/or sparks or any operation that has spark potential)
- Confined space criteria
- The type of operations being tested for flammable and toxic gases
- Roles and responsibilities of the Fire Watch
- Roles and responsibilities of the Stand By person
- Responsibilities of the Gas Monitor role
- How to select, use and care for PPE
- How to work within the safe system of work
- The hazards and properties of flammable gases
- The behaviour of different flammable and toxic gases
- The potential arrival of flammable gas or vapour clouds at the hot work site
- Impact of environmental changes on working conditions
- Importance of checking controls on the equipment are as specified
- Importance of regular communication
- Sources of assistance and specialist support
- Completion of relevant documentation
On successful completion of the course, delegates will be provided with an OPITOApproved Gas Monitor Certificate which is valid for 3 years.
Delegates will be required to undertake a knowledge test which covers all learning outcomes. Candidates must achieve a pass mark of 80% or higher in order to successfully achieve the Gas Monitor Training Standard.
No pre-requisites are required
We will accommodate candidates with special needs. Any candidates with special needs must make us aware at the earliest opportunity in order that we can strive to meet your needs and provide a suitable environment to support your training experience.